Tuesday 6 March 2012

christmas crafting: part 2: the tree

so, my parents still live in the house i grew up in. we moved there just after i was born, and it was 2 bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and an outhouse. that house has grown (added rooms to the main floor, basement built, pool added, etc) a lot over the years and will always be my home.

in the yard there is a tree. a huge, old, gnarled oak tree. it is over 100 years old, and probably 100 feet tall. as a kid it was where our swings were hung, and i have always loved the tree very much. i think it was probably the first tree i hugged.

over the last few years, the tree has started to deteriorate. it's still standing, but it is dying, and my parents have had to have branches removed to ensure that is is safe. after the first cutting, my parents and sister came to visit, and we all went camping, and my mom brought a piece of the tree for each of us. everyone else put theirs in the fire, but i had bigger dreams for mine.

later that year, after my parents left, i made a ring out of some of the wood my mom left. i really didn't expect it to last long, but damn, that wood is strong. it is still around my finger today.
this year, i was thinking of things to make my family, and i decided that everyone should have part of the tree. my sister really loved the ring i made, and was fairly certain that it would take me to narnia, so i made her one, too.
the piece of wood mom brought had a lovely knot in it. it made me think of her when i looked at it. she really holds my family together, and the knot seemed fitting. i had matt cut the knot off, and polished it and made her a necklace.
thinking of something for my dad was a little harder. he doesn't wear jewelery... eventually i hit on a great idea. i remember him getting me to make him these little square leather lanyard keychains as a kid, he has tons of keys for work, and they hang on the dashboard of his work truck where he sees them every day. i got matt to help me make some beads from the wood, and i threaded them on a keychain for him!
i am really happy with what i ended up with. i much prefer hand made, personalized gifts, and i think these turned out just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment